January 4, 2013

Friday Favorites

Hey there! Have you all recovered from New Years, yet? It's been lovely having this break after the craziness of December, but I am very glad that the boys will be headed back to school on Monday and we will be back to a regular routine. Well, as regular a routine as the Air Force allows! Is everyone else ready to get back into the swing of things?

What I'm reading this week: 




Death in the Floating City by Tasha Alexander. This is the latest in the series of Lady Emily mysteries and takes place in Venice. I have to say that Venice was never a city I daydreamed about visiting (there are just so many places to see first in the UK and Ireland), until I read this book! Her descriptions are lush, the story is fast-paced and complex enough that I didn't figure out "who dunit"until the end, and story of renaissance lovers that is part of the mystery was delicious. 


Foolproof by Ina Garten and The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman. I've had my eye on these since they were released this fall, and Santa very kindly sent them to me for Christmas. I spent several nights on the couch this week marking all the recipes that I want to make, and I would say at least half of each book is marked! I've got two recipes from the Barefoot Contessa on the menu for this week, so I'll let you know how they turn out!

What I've been reading around the web: 


Savour Fare wants to eat more fruits and veggies this year-so do I!

Bon Appetit has the top 25 food trends for 2013. What do you think of the list?

While I was reading the list above they happened to have a link to a recipe for one of my favorite Korean foods- BiBimBop! I'll have to give this recipe a try soon.

Snow cream? I discovered this after most of our snow from Christmas had already melted, but I might just keep some eggnog around in case we get another storm soon!

How gorgeous is this nursery? If you took the crib out of the room I would move right in!

The history nerd's perfect hot cocoa recipe! I would love to curl up with this and my tattered copy of Persuasion.

Have a great weekend! 

6 comments:

  1. That book sounds like a good one. I listen to audiobooks all the time - around the house, in the car, while running, etc. but never know which ones to buy. I am in the middle of a very silly series right now, but when it is done, I'll check out this one!

    There is a new Korean restaurant nearby that is getting rave reviews. Jeb and I are thinking of trying it. I might text you to find out what we should order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you listening to? I loved listening to Neil Gaiman and Bill Bryson when I was commuting in CA...so good! Oh and weirdly, the Alfred Molina recording of Treasure Island!

      Delete
    2. I'm listening to the Beautiful Creatures series (I'm on the 3rd now). The first one was good, but I'm finding the others a bit slow.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and that sipping chocolate sounds delightful! I made a homemade powder mix over the holidays and it wasn't great. I DID successfully make homemade marshmallows though - have you tried making them? So easy, and way better than the store bought ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet! I should add them to my list-I'm looking forward to trying some random things I've been wanting to make now that the holiday baking season is over. Is there a recipe that you like?

      Delete
    2. I made the Cooks Illustrated recipe (I rely on them a LOT!). If you don't have access to their website, this recipe looks pretty similar.
      http://www.wearenotmartha.com/2011/02/homemade-marshmallows-and-alcoholic-hot-chocolate/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips