February 8, 2013

Friday Favorites



What I'm reading: 

I finally finished with my heiresses last night (In a Gilded Cage by Marian Fowler). Fabulous subject matter, but because she divided the story into mini-biographies I didn't find it as gripping as her book on the lives of women in the British Raj (Below the Peacock Fan) which I could.not.put.down.

One of my favorite things about having an almost 5 year old, (shameless Mommy brag-he's started to read!! So unbelievably proud of him!!) is that we get to start reading chapter books together. We tried Paddington, and while he loved the concept, the chapters were just a bit too long to keep a good flow going. The other day I stumbled on Mr. Popper's Penguins which I had heard was a great read for little ones. We started earlier this week and the chapters are the perfect length, there are occasional pictures to break up the story and the story itself is hysterical. I have such good memories of reading chapter books with my parents and I have really looked forward to getting to read like this with the boys. It totally made my week.

And of course, finishing In a Gilded Cage means that the great Game of Thrones/Harry Potter challenge starts this weekend in our house! I'll update next week with how it's going.

What have you been reading this week?


Around the web this week: 


Amazing article from the New York Times that just makes my little history nerd heart go all aflutter-They identified the burial of Richard III !

I've been seeing #creativetable popping up on Instagram lately, and I just stumbled on the background of the project. I think this is something I will definitely be doing with my boys!

These sweet potato and black bean enchiladas look like a great way to change up the mexican food in our menu plans.

Legos! Love love love this idea for storing all those mini-figs. Also completely and utterly smitten by the Star Wars print in that room. There's one for each movie...these would be perfect for the boys new room.

Caramel inside a chocolate lava cake? Yes please!

This crisp potato cake is the perfect way to use up those bags of potatoes that we have been getting from our Bountiful Basket lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips