June 28, 2013

Friday Favorites




What I'm reading:

Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson

This story is set in a small country village in England between the wars. Barbara Buncle finds herself in dire financial straights and decides to write a novel to make some money. She writes about what she knows-her friends and neighbors- never expecting the book to be published. When it hits the shelves, the residents of Silverstream find themselves in the book and most are none too pleased. This book is clever and sweet. It reminds me of the "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society"in its tone and gentle rhythm. It is a smart book but there are no pretensions or crazy plot twists. It is simply real life with real characters and how their lives are changed by the publication of Barbara's book. The man characters are well developed and react believably to the situations they find themselves in. The whole thing was delightful!


Good reads around the web this week:

No Bake Oreo Dessert by Brown Eyed Baker. It has been over 100 degrees most of the week here, so I've had  my eye on anything that doesn't require me to turn on an oven!

Grilled Chicken Panzanella by Annie's Eats. I keep seeing panzanella recipes this time of year and I think it's high time I tried one. This one has all my favorite flavors.

What to pack on a beach vacation from Ain't No Mom Jeans. I'm dreaming of a trip back home to the beach right about now, and this should be my packing list.

Chocolate Sorbet without the guilt? Yes Please.

Microwave popcorn without the chemicals from Simple Bites. I'll be making a batch this afternoon while the boys and I have movie time!

Don't forget that Google Reader is gone as of Monday! If you're wondering what options are out there for blog readers, here's a post I wrote about Bloglovin and Feedly. If you don't want to use a reader you can always get notified of my new posts by "liking" my Facebook page, following me on Twitter, or signing up to receive new posts by email on right side of this page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips