July 18, 2013

Gazpacho



This week we have had a blissful interlude of 70-80 degree weather. It RAINED people! Rain! We have been under water restrictions since April...so this week has been downright amazing. The plants (and weeds) in my garden are growing and flowering! I spotted two bell peppers and 3 okra out there this afternoon.

Last week it was over 100 and next week it will be again, but right now Oklahoma is glorious.

In the midst of that 100+ weather last week I made a batch of gazpacho to keep for lunches. I was apprehensive the first time I made this a few years ago because cold soup just sounds a little weird until you try it. Once I finally tried it I was hooked and now every summer I make it anytime the temperatures soar. There really is nothing more refreshing than finally getting a chance to sit down on a hot day and eating something so fresh and flavorful. This is full of summer vegetables at their finest and  it doesn't need many other ingredients to enhance them. It tastes even better as it sits in the fridge over a few days and the flavors mature.

What's your go-to meal during the dog days of summer?


Gazpacho
adapted from The Barefoot Contessa and The Naptime Chef Cookbook

Ingredients:
4 tomatoes
1 cucumber, peeled
2-3 bell peppers
1/2 red onion
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
23 oz tomato juice
salt and pepper to taste (about 1 tsp each)
splash of lime juice

Put tomatoes, peppers, onion and cucumber into food processor one type at a time and finely chop. Combine them all in a large bowl and add garlic, olive oil, vinegar and tomato juice and stir together. Add salt and pepper to taste (I like about 1 teaspoon of each). Refrigerate until cold. Before serving, add a splash of lime juice. Stores in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.

1 comment:

  1. I lived in Spain for just over a month when I was about 19...hated gazpacho. Ha. This recipe looks good though!...I might actually eat it. :)

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips