August 19, 2013

Apple Cobbler



You want to know how easy this recipe is? This is one of the first things I learned how to make on my own when I was a kid. For some reason I had gotten hooked on the Frugal Gourmet show and my grandmother gave me this cookbook for Christmas one year. Somewhere along the line we tried this cobbler and it was such a hit that we just kept making it and making it. My Dad was always roped in to peel the apples since he could take the peel off in one continuous piece-which is a talent guaranteed to make you a hit with young children.
Once you get the apples chopped there's a little bit of sautéing and mixing and you're good to go. The butter in the baking dish makes the outside crisp up just a little and then the inside is a delicious mix of fruit and cake. The consistency almost reminds me of a gooey cake-it's set just enough to be considered a cake.
Let's just say that we made this for a dinner with friends last night and there was just enough left for me to photograph this morning...and then I promptly ate the leftovers. My only regret is there isn't any left to have with my tea this afternoon.

Apple Cobbler
adapted from The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American by Jeff Smith

Ingredients:
2 pounds apples, peeled and roughly chopped
1 stick butter, divided in half (each half should be 1/4 cup)
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk

Melt 1/4 cup of the butter and set aside.

Begin to melt the other 1/4 cup butter and then add in the apples. Sauté the apples until they begin to get soft. Add 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Mix flour, baking powder, salt and the rest of the sugar together. Stir in the milk until completely combined.

Pour the melted butter that you set aside into the bottom of 9x9 baking pan or similar/medium sized casserole dish (a slightly larger rectangular pan will work too, but start checking it at about 40 minutes instead of 50). Pour the batter on top of the butter and spread in an even layer. Then pour the apple mixture on top of that and make sure that covers the batter.

Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve warm or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips