August 2, 2013

Friday Favorites

What I'm reading this week:

Miss Peregrin's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

When I first picked this up I thought it would be much more of a creepy thriller (and those are not usually my cup of tea!) but luckily this was a book club pick so I gave it a try. This is the story of a boy named Jacob who discovers a secret about his grandfather that leads him to a small island in Wales. There was once a home for children on this island and Jacob's life will never be the same once he discovers what is inside the old house. I really could not put this book down. The pictures are woven into the story in a really cool way, and the plot is action heavy without making the characters one dimensional. There is history and fantasy woven together with some really cool twists. A sequel is in the works and I'll be really looking forward to it!




The Artists Way by Julia Cameron
I've been picking this up and putting it down for a while. It's sort a course in enhancing your creativity, and while I don't plan to follow it exactly, there are lots of ideas I want to try. Cameron wants to break down any negativity and barriers you have to become an "artist". It's really more about enhancing whatever you do, and not just the traditional art fields of painting or writing. It's slow, but there is a lot to digest so I think I'll be taking my time with it.

That means I need something else to read while I work on that...I'm never grumpier than when I'm between books, so for my husband's sake I had better settle on one today :) 
These are the two I'm debating between:



Agony of the Leaves by Laura Childs, which is one of the Tea Shop mysteries. Theodosia Browning is the proprieter of a tea shop in the Charleston historic district and well, solves mysteries. This one finds her trying to solve the murder of a former boyfriend. 



Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson 
I love Bill Bryson, and for some reason I never read this one. He's always funny though he tends to wander off on fascinating but obscure tangents. In this book he walks the Appalachian Trail after living in England for a number of years. 



Good reads around the web:

How cute are these shirts? These started as a fundraiser to help bring home their son from Korea-I think the boys each need one!

This post by the Rookie Moms is something that all mothers need to be reminded of from time to time. This summer has not always been easy for me, and I need to remember that I'm not the only one who doesn't have it all together. 

We've been eating fish at least once a week this summer and are always on the lookout for new recipes. Annie just posted a fab looking Ginger Garlic Salmon that I can't wait to try. 

I stumbled on Kimberly Wilson's blog this week "Tranquility du Jour". So much good stuff on there about mindfulness and creativity...I will be spending lots of time getting lost on this site!

This is a fun take on a traditional pizza from Cook Like a Champion. 

Brown Eyed Baker made one of my favorite ice cream flavors ever. Must try!

What are you reading this week? Any suggestions? 

(Let's keep in touch, shall we? You can find me here: Goodreads, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for spreading the Tranquility du Jour love! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read A Walk In The Woods. Parts are good, parts are dead boring unless you're really into botany/ natural history.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips