September 10, 2013

Honey Balsamic Grilled Mahi Mahi


In New England it's really easy to eat great seafood. The area where I grew up has a very active fishing port and there are fresh fish markets everywhere so there's no excuse to not be eating it. It's a little harder in Oklahoma. We are purposely adding more fish into our dinner rotation but many of our favorites are nowhere to be seen.

What I wouldn't give to get my hands on some swordfish. Sigh.

On the upside, it's making us step out of our seafood comfort zone and try new things we might not have cooked otherwise. I had eaten Mahi Mahi in restaurants, but had never cooked it myself before. It just happened to be on sale at the commissary recently so I scooped it up and figured I'd come up with a topping later. Thankfully, Pinterest is full of easy marinades and glazes for seafood and I stumbled on this one from Panlasang Pinoy. It had everything I was looking for: simple to put together, ingredients that were already in my pantry, and no long marinade times since dinner needed to be crazy fast to get to soccer practice on time.

Mahi Mahi is a more substantial fish than say a Tilapia. It doesn't have a strong "fishy" flavor, so it's a good one to try if you are not really a big fish eater. This glaze is just a touch on the sweet side, but the honey doesn't overwhelm the other flavors. I served it with a big side salad, but this would be great with just some rice or cous cous and whatever veggie is in season.

Honey Balsamic Grilled Mahi Mahi
slightly adapted from Panlasang Pinoy

Ingredients:
4 Mahi Mahi fillets
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together the spices and set aside. Microwave the honey briefly (no more than 20 seconds) and whisk in the balsamic vinegar.
Rub the spice mixture into the Mahi Mahi fillet, and then pour the honey mixture over it and rub in as well. Let the fish soak up the glaze while you get the grill ready and then grill each side over medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
Drizzle any remaining glaze over the fish and serve immediately.

11 comments:

  1. I've never had mahi mahi but now I reeeally want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy and sounds easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum Yum! Always looking for more ways to eat fish. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at microwave. Seriously. I love fish, but I usually only order it in restaurants because I don't know any good sauces to make myself and let's face it, fish doesn't really taste that great just by itself. This recipe looks really really simple. Just a few ingredients and a microwave sauce? I think even Brittany could handle cooking some grilled Mahi Mahi :) Happy SITS Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for pinning! We are always looking for new fish recipes too…it's so easy to get stuck in a rut with fish, I find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be terrified to cook fish myself! Grilling is a good way to ease in…there's no real worry about that getting a fishy smell stuck in your kitchen, and things cook so quickly on the grill too! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look SO good (and I don't even like seafood)! But my hubby loves it and he is always bringing some home from his fishing trips. Last time he brought Mahi Mahi home, I had no idea what to do with it. Thank you for sharing this! Happy SITS Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a good recipe to have in your arsenal-especially if you get fresh Mahi Mahi like that! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips