October 23, 2013

Zucchini Mini Muffins



We are officially through the first quarter of the school year and my children want to eat the same exact snack every afternoon after school...which is basically the same thing they had for lunch. They don't seem to mind but I'd like to inject just a little variety in there. I'm hoping if I change something small every month or so then they won't suddenly get bored with the whole thing at once. A gal can dream, right?
In that vein I grabbed some zucchini at the store last week planning to make zucchini bread. Just as I had decided this, my youngest began to refuse any bread type snacks unless they had frosting. So how do you outthink a 4 year old on this? I decided to go with the confusion tactic-I made them bite sized muffins-so that they look like tiny cupcakes. Before he has a chance to complain that it's not actually a cupcake it will be gone! Next, I added chocolate. Because really...what kid is going to refuse chocolate?!
I'm glad to say that it worked! My oldest is devouring these as fast I will let him, and my youngest is actually eating them AND saying they are "nummy" which is his highest compliment for food. I used all whole wheat flour to boost the nutrition and added a bit more spice to make these more reminiscent of my usual zucchini bread.
The preschool set isn't the only one who love these by the way, the grownups have been snagging them for snack time too! These have become a nice addition to my after school cup of tea.

Whole Wheat Zucchini Mini Muffins
adapted from Cooking Light
Makes 24 mini muffins

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup shredded zucchini (this was about 2 small zucchini for me)
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp honey
1 egg
2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400. Prep muffin pan by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.

Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt).

In another bowl, stir together zucchini, milk, oil, honey and egg.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the zucchini mixture over it. Stir together until just combined and then fold in the chocolate chips.

Fill each muffin well to just under the top for mini muffins.

Bake for 15 minutes. Cool in pan for 2-3 minutes and then finish on a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips