November 18, 2013

Gifts from the Kitchen: Cinnamon Chocolate Fudge



This is one of the very first recipes I made that scared the pants off of me before I tried it. Fudge? No way. I can't make candy-remember that time you tried to make caramel and destroyed a saucepan and a candy thermometer in less than 20 minutes? Was that just me? Darn.
(Psst! Stocking stuff ideas honey-Candy thermometer and a new spatula too! Told you I wouldn't be subtle this year :) )
But back to the fudge. I had just assumed that it would be complicated to make since in my mind it falls into that candy category. Then I stumbled on this recipe by Giada De Laurentiis and realized that it's not all that different from making brownies.


This immediately became one of my standby recipes. Forgot about that class party or squadron potluck this afternoon?  Or teacher gifts? Those get me every year! Just pop a few in a little bag with pretty bow and you're all set.
Chances are you have everything for this in your pantry. All you need is 10 minutes of prep time and a few hours for it to refrigerate.
Extra credit-everyone will be so impressed that you made fudge. Just don't tell them how easy it was!


Cinnamon Chocolate Fudge

barely adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients:
10 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
6 oz semisweet chocolate*
14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into large slices
Large pinch of sea salt (optional)

Prepare a small baking pan (8x8 or similar size) by coating with non stick spray and then cutting a piece of parchment paper to fit with some hanging over the side.

Bring a small saucepan full of water to a boil. In a metal or glass bowl large enough to sit in the saucepan but not touch the water below place the chocolate and the butter. Stir until both the chocolate and butter are completely melted. Pour in condensed milk, vanilla and cinnamon and stir until everything is completely combine and mixture is smooth.

Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle salt lightly over the chocolate. Place in fridge until hardened. (3 hours minimum, overnight is even easier)

*You can use all of one type of chocolate or the other, or mix it to your preference.

6 comments:

  1. I'm slowly growing to like cinnamon. And pairing it with one of my favorite things ever - chocolate - is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very subtle in this recipe so don't worry! Although I am slowly becoming hooked on it-I even put it in my coffee the other morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - I'm definitely making this once I emerge from the black hole that is my educational life right now! Chocolate and cinnamon is one of my favorite combinations. Haagen-Dazs used to have a really delicious chocolate cinnamon ice cream (Mayan Chocolate) that has been discontinued. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried it in my coffee ... yet. I keep hearing about people putting it in their hot cocoa, though. Sounds yummy. That chocolate and cinnamon combo again. I really started giving cinnamon a chance when I read about the health benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delicious! What a shame they don't make it anymore! I bet we could replicate it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does sound yummy! I was surprised how many benefits are being ascribed to cinnamon-it's a nice change to all the news of how bad many foods actually are for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips