December 17, 2013

Gingerbread


I had a moment of panic this morning when I realized that Christmas is the beginning of next week not the end. Which means as soon as I hit "publish" on this post I will be in a whirlwind of wrapping followed by standing in giant lines with other panicked people at the UPS store and/or Post Office. Yikes. Someday, we'll be back on the east coast near family and I will be able to finish my shopping on the 24th like I prefer to :)

Yes, I wrote all my papers the night before they were due in college and grad school too.

This gingerbread is a winter favorite. It's a bit sticky and the flavor is stronger than other recipes due to the fresh ginger in it. I love to wrap this up as gifts, serve it for dessert around the holidays and eat it for breakfast with a cup of tea. I'll keep making it until the weather warms up in the spring too! It's too good to keep around for only a month every year.

Are you a last minute shopper/baker/shipper too? 

Gingerbread
adapted from Nigella Christmas

1 stick plus 3 tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
3/4 cup molasses
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 2 tbsp warm water
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking dish with parchment paper and butter or nonstick spray the sides of the pan.
Over medium heat, melt the butter, sugar, syrup, molasses, and spices in a saucepan until they are combined.
Off the heat add in the milk, eggs and baking soda dissolved in water.
Pour the flour into a large bowl, and add in the liquid ingredients mixture. Beat the mixture until totally mixed together-make sure to watch out for flour clumps. Don't panic that the batter is too liquid either-it's supposed to be.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool in the pan before slicing and sprinkling with powdered sugar if you'd like.

4 comments:

  1. Ana @ Lessons From YesterdayDecember 17, 2013 at 2:13 PM

    This looks wonderful! I used to make a gingerbread recipe that was supposed to be Laura Ingalls Wilder's favorite--makes me want to make some again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit this but I'm not sure I have ever made gingerbread… This sounds so good, I think I might have to make it today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I love a good literary recipe! I'm going to have to look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try it! I'm actually thinking about making some this weekend again because it's just so perfect to eat with my afternoon tea :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips