February 5, 2014

Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding



I have a love/hate relationship with breakfast. I love slow mornings over homemade pancakes and a french press full of coffee. The pancakes don't happen every weekend, but the french press usually does.


Contrast that to our weekday mornings when breakfast is a hurried  and stressful affair. I cajole the children to eat faster and then just as I tell them time is up they claim to be "staaarvvvingg Mooommmy" after eating a bigger portion than you get in a diner. Like many mothers my actual breakfast is almost and afterthought. Toast, maybe an apple, occasionally a bowl of cereal. If I prepare ahead I'm in good shape. Smoothie ingredients pre-frozen and divided into single portions, or steel cut oats are much better ways to start the day but they require advance planning. There are weeks where I rock the advance planning for all our meals. Other weeks? Not even close.


I've been adding chia seeds to smoothies for ages but sometime in the last year I discovered chia seed pudding. It's one of those remarkably adaptable recipes that can be breakfast or dessert and take on almost any flavor you like. Top it like you would greek yogurt with fresh fruit or granola or eat it plain. Lest you be concerned by the idea of eating cold pudding for breakfast, don't worry. It's refreshing and light but the chia seeds fill you up. I like the applesauce to naturally sweeten but also to help thicken the pudding. Banana works well too: I just don't care for bananas that much. If you prefer them though, just add about half of a mashed banana instead of the applesauce. It takes all of 3 minutes to throw together before you go to bed.

In the morning you can make a cup of coffee, sprinkle some granola on your pudding and grab a piece of fresh fruit. It pays to be nice to yourself in the morning.


Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding
Ingredients:
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup applesauce

*If you prefer to use regular almond milk, add in 1 tsp of vanilla extract*

Pour all ingredients into a container with top that seals. Mix together and store overnight in the fridge, giving it a good shake once or twice before bed.
In the morning, top with fresh fruit, granola, or anything else you like!


5 comments:

  1. I need to get some almond milk so I can try this. I've been making overnight oats lately. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this tomorrow! If I have enough chia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you like it! I think you could easily cut this in half if it wasn't the only thing you were eating for breakfast too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love overnight oats! I prefer the almond milk in this, but have used coconut and regular milk too, so you have a little wiggle room if it's not something you want to keep around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. This is a must try. I think i've resisted chia pudding just because it seems too, too healthy:) But, it's beautiful, and as it is, I eat chia seeds almost every day. Your blog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips