February 28, 2015

March Reading Challenge

                    

Every Saturday this year the boys and I have gone to the library together. I often pop over there during the week by myself to pick up a hold, or browse the stacks without small, sticky hands pulling on my sleeve, but the weekend visit is for all of us.

We stock up on books and movies to get us through the never ending snow days. I pick up a new mystery or try something from the new arrivals shelf.

Today I was preparing my list of books from my giant to-read list on Goodreads and I realized something. I already have a TON of these books, most of them sitting on my Kindle. I'm in the habit of snagging something I've been wanting to read when it goes on megasale, or adding a book when I order dog food or some other necessity from Amazon.

Then a due date nears and I turn back to my big stack of library books.

Today is the last day of February. I am almost finished with the only library book I have left at home, and there are no holds likely to come in soon.

This March I'm going to challenge myself. I am only going to read books that are already in my house or on my Kindle. Frankly, I think I really need to focus solely on my Kindle! (I did something similar last year but couldn't quite give up my library books). Next week I'll share the books I'm starting with.

Tell me I'm not the only one with this problem! Anyone want to join in? 


4 comments:

  1. ::gasp:: No... no library?! I'm rooting for you, Moira, but I'm not sure I could hack it. However, if you're *really* looking for a challenge, you should have a friend pick a random date, and begin the challenge spontaneously. If I knew the challenge was starting March 1st, my natural inclination would be to binge-buy all the new books I've been wanting to read on February 28th. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to the library at all really since C was born. Gasp! I know... But in my defense it's an hour round trip. Thank goodness for the overdrive app and access to multiple libraries. I'm looking forward to hearing what you're reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally have this problem! Goodness though- I don't know that I could do your challenge. I think the library withdrawal symptoms would be too high!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had the same problem but now with the library. I would buy book several years ago without having read many that I already owned. I finally cleaned my bookshelf of most books that I had no interest in any longer and have slowly been working on making time for those as well as library borrows. It is tough to focus on what you already have when what you can get from the library is literally endless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips