January 22, 2013

French Toast


A few weeks ago we took the boys out for breakfast. Now if you know my children, you might think this was not the brightest idea. About once a month we start missing eating out and decide that it really wasn't so bad the last time we did it, so maybe we should try again. Since dinner comes firmly during the witching hour when my darling boys turn into raving lunatics, evening meals out never go well.

Breakfast, however, works for some reason.

Maybe we're all fresh in the morning, maybe because no one really expects you to be that quiet at 9 am, or maybe because we treat any breakfast out as second breakfast like we're a family of Hobbits. We'll give the boys something small when they get up and somehow they can handle waiting until the food arrives without completely losing it.

My eldest has always been a pancake boy...but that morning he wanted to try my french toast, and it was love at first bite. The very next morning he was begging me to recreate them, so I did. These aren't fancy, and don't require a lot of time or effort, but man are they satisfying. They aren't too sweet, can be adapted to any type of bread you have. This day I used regular old whole wheat bread, but I think they'd be fabulous with some challah or artisan bread. Just one more excuse to try these next weekend, right?


As you can see, my youngest eats anything with maple syrup on it with workman like efficiency!

Basic French Toast

(serves 2-3)

3/4 cup milk
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
8 slices of bread

Pre-heat griddle or frying pan and grease with a little bit of butter.

Whisk all the ingredients together and pour into shallow pan or bowl. Coat each bread slice in the mixture until they are soaked, but not falling apart.

Cook each side of the bread until it is browned and a crust is beginning to form. I like mine a little crunchier so I cook each side slightly longer than other people do (closer to 3 minutes a side).

Serve as you like, with butter and syrup or powdered sugar.

Original recipe from Baking Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips