January 14, 2013

Key Lime Pie




I'm always extra excited for my book club meetings when it is my turn to host. Not only does it free me from the "Will I/Won't I need a babysitter" quandary I usually have thanks to Flyboy's crazy work schedule, but it gives me an excuse to try a new recipe I've been salivating over. 
This particular month I was craving Key Lime Pie. Well, let's face it. I always crave Key Lime Pie. Last year I had an earth stopping-ly good version at Mustards Grill in Napa. The kind of dessert that is so good you are still thinking about it months later. Not just thinking about, drooling about.
So off I went in search of my own version. While there are about a gazillion recipes out there, I ended up combining two of Nigella Lawson's recipes. I took the filling from Nigella Kitchen and the crust from Domestic Goddess
Minor confession #1: I used regular limes. I just straight up forgot when I was at the store to look for key limes.
Minor confession #2: I couldn't get the crust to do what I wanted in a regular pie pan, so I used a springform pan and just ended up with extra crust. Looking back, I should never have bothered with the pie pan. 
 It's a different pie than Mustard's version, but it was light, perfectly tart and entirely satisfying. 
The only problem: now I have two versions to crave.

Key Lime Pie
adapted from How to be a Domestic Goddess and Nigella Kitchen by Nigella Lawson

Filling: 
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbs lime zest
3/4 cup lime juice 
1 1/4 cup heavy cream

Crust:
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp graham crackers
1/4 cup butter, softened

To make the crust, put graham crackers and butter into food processor and pulse until it's crumbly. Press this into the bottom and sides of the pan and then chill in the refrigerator. 

For the filling, combine the condensed milk and the lime juice in a bowl with a whisk. Then whisk in the heavy cream. Place the mixture in a standing mixer with a whisk attachment or use a handheld one mixer to whip the mixture until it thickens. Pour filling into the crust and chill the whole thing for 4 hours (overnight is even better). 

Sprinkle with lime zest just before serving. You can even grate a little chocolate on top to add just a little something extra. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips