June 19, 2013

Biscoff No-Bake Cookies


Baking for me is grounding. Rough day with the kids or the Air Force? (or more likely both!?) Give me 15 minutes in the kitchen with Mumford and Sons on and I can start to shake the day off. A few more minutes of whisking or listening to the whir of my mixer and by the time the dishes are done I can breathe again. It's a way of bringing my focus into one single thing, like focusing on your breath while meditating.

I think that's the same reason I read so much historical fiction. If the story and the writing are right, I can escape into a world completely unlike my own and come out refreshed on the other side.

I had one of those days today. So into my kitchen I went and in 15 minutes plus dishes, these went into my fridge. I can breathe again and face the tomorrow with my reserve filled back up.

No bake cookies have many fine qualities, but beauty is not one of them. Luckily, this particular variety is so addicting no one seems to mind. This is the kind of cookie that will brighten your day, or someone else's. They are sweet, but not so decadent that you can't have two. They're easy, fast, and freeze divinely. What's not to love? I have been known to polish off half of a batch before I can force myself to give the rest away.

Luckily I have my lovely book club friends to help me eat these tomorrow night. We are reading my favorite book in the world, Persuasion, and I like to think Jane might approve of these...


Biscoff No-Bake Cookies
slightly adapted from Brown Eyed Baker via Sugarcraft

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
pinch of salt
3/4 c Biscoff spread (I find that about 1/2 the container works nicely)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups quick cooking oats (plus a little more to adjust consistency if needed)

In a large saucepan, begin melting the butter and add in sugar, milk and salt. Heat until a rolling boil is reached, and then boil for one more minute. Take off the heat and then add in Biscoff and vanilla. Stir to completely combine, and then add in the oats. If mixture is too runny, add in extra oats. Drop tablespoonfuls onto a lined baking sheet (parchment paper works best for me) and place in the fridge until solid, usually within an hour or two. These cookies won't spread as they cool, so put them as close together as you need to on the baking sheets.



2 comments:

  1. Just discovered your site. Love Biscoff!! I must try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips