June 21, 2013

Friday Favorites





What I've been reading this week: 
The Family Vault by Charlotte MacLeod

How could I resist something with the tagline "America's Agatha Christie"?? I'm about halfway through this and so far I'm pleased. The day before burying a great-uncle, Sarah Kelling finds the skeleton of a burlesque dancer walled up in her family vault in one of Boston's historic cemeteries. Being a history geek and from Massachusetts to boot, I adore the references to places I know and love. The suspense is coming in bursts, with a fair bit of backstory in between, and I think it is probably doing a lot of set-up for the rest of the mystery series. At this point the plot is still picking up and there have been quite a few twists and turns that leave me having no idea where it's going. I'm looking forward to finding out! (And hoping it's a start to a great series--I love knowing there are a whole batch of books waiting for me.)

Books on my radar: 
These are a few books I have my eye on to read in the next few weeks. 


Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child by Bob Spitz
I read "My Life in France" by Julia just as I was beginning to learn to cook, and I connected so much with her. She fell in love with cooking while her husband was posted to Paris after WWII and she was suddenly a diplomatic wife with no friends or occupation to keep her busy. Her cooking lessons brought her both. Ever since that I have devoured every book I come across on Julia and the reviews on this are excellent. 




I stumbled onto a recommendation for this book on the Modern Mrs. Darcy blog (readers-check this one out!) and given that I've read two books about Churchill recently I couldn't resist adding this one in. It's not a traditional biography, but forty questions about different aspects of Churchill's life. I think it will round out my little trio nicely. 


Good reads around the web this week: 

Reading in "flights" by Modern Mrs. Darcy- I adore this idea of intentionally choosing three complimentary books to read together. 

Honey Lime Drumsticks by Shutterbean The marinade for this chicken dish looks like the perfect combo of sweet and spicy. YUM.

A new-to-me Tumblr called Awesome People Reading, which is exactly like it sounds. Writers, politicians, actors...all caught in the act of reading. Gorgeous photos all around. 

Lemon Blueberry Icebox Cake by Savour Fare. I'm trying to figure out a good excuse to make this. The flavors are perfect for early summer. 

Soboru Pan by Heart, Mind, Seoul. We've been cooking more Korean food with the boys lately now that they are getting out of the picky stage and this website is a go-to for good Korean options. I've only tried main dishes so far, but this bread looks fabulous. A peanut butter crumble topping? Yes please. 

One of the things on my kitchen "bucket list" is to really learn to preserve things. This intro to basic canning by Cook Like a Champion answers a lot of questions and gives me the confidence to try it this summer. 

Have a great weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips