August 26, 2013

Egg and Prosciutto Pie


Savory pies are really one of the most underrated foods out there. It's not that people don't enjoy them-they just don't get the coverage they deserve. Maybe that's an American thing? We tend to go straight for a burger or a sandwich. Or maybe it was that I was such a picky eater as a child I never discovered savory pies until I was an adult?

Either way, I adore them now. Even better-the boys (big and little) love them as well. I make more of them over the winter, but last week was just so crazy we decided a little comfort food was in order. This particular pie started out life as Nigella's Boxing Day Pie. I switched up the bacon for prosciutto, mainly because I am always looking for an excuse to eat prosciutto and I'm entirely ambivalent about bacon. Pancetta works really well in this too, so use whichever you prefer. There is more meat than egg so it doesn't run quite into quiche consistency, but it's along the same idea-just wrapped up in pie dough. I think it will be really fun to play around with the filling this winter. Since the egg is reminscent of a quiche or frittata those recipes would be my starting point- maybe a mexican version with chorizo and cilantro? Darn it, I really shouldn't write these posts when I'm hungry already!

Egg and Prosciutto Pie
adapted from How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson

Crust:
You can use your favorite recipe...I still haven't found "the one" but I love The Pioneer Woman's pie crust tutorial or the Brown Eyed Baker's version. In a pinch you could even use store bought (shh, I won't tell!)

Filling:
2 cups prosciutto, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 green onions, diced
4 eggs
3 tbsp chopped parsley


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Make your favorite pie crust and put the bottom layer in the pie dish.

Saute the prosciutto and onion with some black pepper to taste until the prosciutto is starting to crisp up and the onion is translucent. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, parsley and green onions together.

Pour the prosciutto mixture on top of the pie crust dough and then pour the egg mixture on top of that. Add the second rolled out piece of pie dough and pinch the edges together. Slice a small hole in the center of the crust to let out steam and put it in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips