August 12, 2013

French 75



When we lived in California one of our favorite wineries was a Champagne house-Mumm Napa. Nothing made me happier than knowing we had a surplus of champagne in the house-always some on hand to bring as a gift, toast an occasion or commiserate a bad day. Wasn't it Napoleon who said that champagne was great after a victory, but necessary after a defeat?

Since Mumm can't ship to Oklahoma our stash is sadly diminished. We finally found a wine shop that carries it here last summer (at a rather sizable markup-grr!) so now we can still have it for special occasions. (Don't think I haven't considered getting a mailbox at a shipping store in Texas so I can order a case!)

We celebrated our discovery by making the French 75 which would absolutely be my signature drink if I were cool enough to have one...well it would be if I was young, rich and lived near bars that kept champagne on hand :)

The French 75 is not a silly little cocktail. The gin cuts what could be an overly sweet concoction and makes it into something marvelous. I happen to be a gin fan, but if you don't care for it, I've been told you could switch it out for cognac or bourbon. If you go the gin route use the good stuff please! Nothing tastes worse than cheap gin.

The best part about champagne is how it makes the every day feel luxurious. I'm not very good at celebrating the little victories. I tend to just check something off the list and move on to the next thing without pausing to take stock of how much I have already accomplished. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the climb up the mountain of stress that I forget to admire the view from where I am every once in a while.

So let's celebrate where we are right this very second. All those little things you've accomplished? They really do add up to something. Let's remind each other of that every once in a while-deal? Deal.

Cheers!


French 75
adapted from Domestic Sluttery


Pour 1 1/2 oz of gin, 1 oz lemon juice, and a teaspoon of powdered sugar (regular sugar will work too if you need it to) into a cocktail shaker. Shake to mix together and pour into a champagne flute. Fill up the glass with champagne and enjoy!

*If you don't have a cocktail shaker just whisk the gin, lemon juice and sugar together instead.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous post. Now for us non gin drinkers, how about a suggestion for good gin? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Bombay Sapphire. The bottle is cute too which is a nice bonus :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips