August 9, 2013

Friday Favorites

 

My Elizabeth Peters shelves...and this is barely a drop in the bucket of what she actually wrote!

What I've been reading:

The Murders of Richard III by Elizabeth Peters

This is the second in the Jacqueline Kirby novels by Elizabeth Peters. After I finished the Seventh Sinner, I started looking around my house for this. I KNEW I had it, but just couldn't find it. When I couldn't get settled into any other book last week, I broke down and ordered this and the 3rd in the series for my Kindle. I am so glad I did. Elizabeth Peters died this week, and it seemed only fitting that I  was reading her books when it happened. I really don't think there is another author who had such a big influence on me. I discovered her freshman year of high school thanks to my guidance counselor and haven't looked back. She was one hell of a writer, and you should expect to see lots of re-reads of her books coming up for the rest of the year.

The Murders of Richard III take place at an English country house party made up of Richard III supporters. They have discovered evidence that may prove Richard was innocent and have called the members of their society together to make the big announcement to the press. It seems that someone wants to stop them, and Jacqueline tries to put a stop to the strange events before they go too far. I love that I come away from any Peters mystery wanting to learn more about the historical subplots. I've read Josephine Tey's Daughter of Time years ago, which is the seminal novel "clearing" Richard of the Tudor accusations. The winners do write the histories, and the Tudors were not known for their subtlety. I will have to poke around through some of the revisionist histories and see just what the theories are now.

In the meantime, I'll be finishing out the series. Next up: Die for Love.

Good reads around the web:

There are several good tributes and obituaries around the web for Elizabeth Peters. The Washington Post, and NPR.

Some solid school lunch ideas that don't involve turning the lunch into a work of art. Much appreciated by this tired Mama!

A great roundup from Emily Clark of kids spaces to inspire me a little more. (We only have sheets and clocks so far...obviously I need a lot more inspiration!)

Peach Almond Slab Pie by Savor Fare...I have never heard of slab pie, but the fact that is a portable pie is all I need to know. I would probably switch this out for my fave strawberry rhubarb combination.

This tomato tart from Joy the Baker would be the perfect way to use all the tomatoes I would be getting from my garden right now if I could get the plants to do anything more than flower! Tomatoes may be my gardening kryptonite.

I've never tried a Ricotta cake. Have you? After seeing this one from Michelle of Brown Eyed Baker I will be making one very soon!

I love Breanne's thoughts on the reality of Pinterest projects with little ones.

Hope you have a great weekend everyone!



Let's connect! Find Hearth and Homefront around the web: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for including my link in your list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love what Breanne wrote about her Pinterest craft; thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips