September 17, 2013

Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies



Ever had one of those days where your to do list is so long that you want to throw it out and just make cookies?

Yeah. That was yesterday for me. Between soccer practice, kids homework, trying to start running again, welcoming new spouses to the squadron, attempting to keep Mt. Laundry in check, and prepping for a visit from family (yay!) I might have over-scheduled myself just a wee bit this week. It's all stuff I want to do...I just need to be better at organizing it on my calendar so it's not all at the same time. Whoops! As I get older, I'm realizing that when I feel overwhelmed, the best thing I can do is take a breather. I'm embracing the fact that I can have coffee with a friend or take some down time in the kitchen or with a book and the rest of that to-do list doesn't look so scary.

If you are in need of last minute cookies these are definitely the way to go. They took all of 10 minutes to put together and another 15 to bake up. The ingredients are all things that I had in the house and there is no fancy footwork once the dough is made-you just spoon it onto the baking sheet and pop it in the oven. I love how the brown sugar created a deeper flavor than a regular sugar cookie, and the oatmeal adds a nice texture. I took some out at about 14 minutes and some out just a few minutes longer to try them soft and crunchy. Fab both ways...but the crunchy ones taste really good dunked in your afternoon tea :)



Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies
barely adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups old fashioned oats

Preheat oven to 350.
Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use your hand mixer). Once it is pale and creamy add in the vanilla, then the eggs (one at a time), scraping the bowl and mixing until totally combined after each addition.
In another bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add into the butter mixture in 3 batches, mixing each until just combined. Add the oats in and mix those until just barely combined as well.
Scoop out a tablespoon of dough for each cookie and drop on a cookie sheet a few inches apart. Keep an eye on the cookies starting at about 13 minutes. If you like them a little crispier, go to 15-16 minutes.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips