October 25, 2013

Friday Favorites

                  
Not too shabby for a last minute Dinosaur costume for the Kindergarten Book Parade, huh? 

My books this week: 
The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan is the third and final book in the Kane Chronicles (Percy Jackson meets Ancient Egyptian magic). This was a fun and fast read and wrapped almost all the plot lines up tidily. There's just enough out there that makes me think Riordan will revisit the Kanes in a second trilogy, much like he did with Percy Jackson and his friends.

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. This was the book for my book club this month, and I just can't get through it. I'm about halfway, but the meeting was last night and based on our discussion I don't think I'm going to bother finishing it. Strayed doesn't go through much of a character arc through the course of the book, and I can't connect enough with her to be interested in what happens the rest of the way. There's too many good books to read to continue with this one!


What I'm reading around the web:

Map of the most famous book set in each state. Of course I had to go see what the book for each state we've been stationed in was!

I love this article on Kveller about telling friends and strangers that they are good mothers. It is so easy to doubt ourselves, especially in those tough parenting moments, and it means so much to hear someone say those words. To all my Mama friends-You are GREAT moms. I am proud to know you and I have learned so much watching you.

There's a lot of pumpkin recipes out there right now, but this Pumpkin Hummus from The Naptime Chef looks delicious and is a nice change from all the sweets floating around right now.

I need to take advantage of my slow cooker as the days get shorter and busier and this Chicken and Sausage Stew from Smells like Home is at the top of my list to try.

I'm having way too much fun reading this new-to-me blog: Two Nerdy History Girls. So much historical goodness!

Hope you have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips