October 28, 2013

Gifts from the Kitchen:Herb Infused Vinegar



I realized this weekend just how much I'm enjoying writing this series…want to know what tipped me off? The fact that I have three, count 'em, THREE running list of gift ideas, and I still got too excited about a new idea I stumbled on this weekend to wait a whole week to make it. I might have to bump some recipes right into next fall!

I started thinking about savory flavors because so much this time of year is a sugar overload. Flavored salts, homemade salad dressings, things like that…and then I narrowed my focus to rosemary since my garden is still full of it. It seems like the plain rosemary infused vinegar is a pretty standard version, but adding cranberries to it? As Chandler would say, could it BE more perfect for the holidays?! (Am I dating myself by quoting Friends now? Please humor me and say no.)

Now if cranberries aren't your thing, you can just stop at the rosemary. It will still be fabulous and elegant. However, if you want to keep going, you will end up with not only something delicious, but something gorgeous. The whole bottle will take on the red hue of the berries. Think of it as a statement necklace in condiment form. I know that sounds odd. Just go with it. The cranberry version absolutely has the "wow" factor, but that isn't always what you want in a gift. Sometimes you just want to go for the understated side of elegance. It's always good to have choices, isn't it?

Rosemary Infused Vinegar and Cranberry and Rosemary Vinegar
adapted from Baking Cozy and Cooking with Michele

8 oz white wine vinegar
2 sprigs rosemary

optional: one rosemary sprig with leaves removed used to skewer cranberries (about 8-10 berries)

Pour vinegar in sterilized jar. Add rosemary (and optional cranberries if you would like). Seal and store in a cool, dry place for 10-14 days. Gift with a recipe for your favorite vinaigrette!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips