October 17, 2013

Roasted Acorn Squash



One of the things I miss most about California was how late the growing season went in the year. It felt like it was almost Thanksgiving by the time things really shut down, and by that point there was tons of fall produce available. The part of Oklahoma we live in is more cattle than crop farming so there isn't much of a Farmer's Market. With the drought we've had this year I could barely keep my little backyard garden alive, let alone producing a crop. I can't imagine trying to do that on a large scale here.


My poor husband probably dreads this time of year, because there is nothing I like more than squash, sweet potatoes and root vegetables and he really doesn't care for them. But he eats them because he loves me and I really appreciate it. (Though I eat mushrooms because I love him, so there.)


Even he admits that this squash recipe is good. I mean, it's butter and brown sugar sprinkled on squash and then baked until it almost caramelizes...it's tough to complain about that!


Roasted Acorn Squash
adapted from The Kitchn

Ingredients:
2-3 tbsp butter


2 tbsp sugar
1 acorn squash

Preheat oven to 425. Slice squash in half and remove seeds in the center. Cut into slivers and place on a baking sheet. Dab each slice with butter. Sprinkle the sugar over all the slices. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips