January 21, 2014

Cinnamon Sugar Scones





Did everyone have a nice three day weekend? It was a good countermand to the craziness lately and I spent it teaching my oldest card games, relaxing and generally getting organized. I made a lot of lists, and feel like I might have a handle on what needs tweaking in my current system. More on that later this week. In the meantime I'm balancing my to-do list with things that make me happy and getting back to baking is a big one.


Scones are one of my favorite instant gratification recipes. They are relatively easy and are done within 30 minutes. This batch was inspired by my favorite breakfast as a child (and adult, let's be honest)-cinnamon sugar sprinkled over buttered toast. Being scones, these aren't quite as sweet as my inspiration which suits my palate more as an adult. The cinnamon chips add an extra pop of flavor as you take a bite. These are perfect with a cup of tea and a good book-my favorite kind of baking!





Cinnamon Sugar Scones
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker and Two Peas and Their Pod

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (needs to be cold!)
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp cinnamon chips
1 cup almond milk (can also use heavy cream)

For the topping:
1 tbsp almond milk (again, heavy cream will also work)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon


Whisk all dry ingredients except cinnamon chips together. Add cold butter and mix together with your hands or a pastry blender until it becomes sandy with larger chunks of butter left (about pea-sized). Pour in the cinnamon chips and stir until they are distributed throughout.
Pour the almond milk over the butter mixture and stir until it just begins to stick together. Pour mix onto a floured surface and knead until the dough forms a ball. Pat into disc about 3/4 inch tall and either cut out in circles using a cookie cutter or slice into triangles. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Mix together cinnamon and sugar to form topping. Drizzle almond milk over each scone and then coat the top with cinnamon sugar  mixture.
Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea that scones were so easy. I think I may be seeing a lot of scones in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, yum! I have never made scones, but it's on my list to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super easy! And once you get comfortable with the basic recipes there are so many varieties to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's one of those baked goods recipes that always comes in handy! Perfect for tea with a friend or a weekend breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these look so yum!! I love cinnamon anything especially in the winter. Perfect for breakfast as well as an afternoon nosh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips