January 9, 2014

Eggnog Pancakes



I had grand plans over Christmas break to do a lot of baking. I had my eye on an eggnog bundt cake, spiced muffins and a few other odds and ends. Life had other plans for me instead and I spent more of the break taking care of sick children and succumbing myself on Christmas day than I did cooking in the kitchen. No one minded that there was no big Christmas dessert and the kids certainly didn't notice that we had "regular" breakfast instead of our special muffins-they just got to the presents that much faster! It was a good lesson in what stress is of my own creation and what is really necessary. Something I need regular reminders of!

The flip side to all this is that I ended up with a ton of leftover eggnog. The kids didn't really like to drink it and frankly one glass of eggnog per day (brandy or no brandy) seems to be all I can handle too.


I was brainstorming ways to use it up when I recalled seeing an eggnog pancake recipe last year. A few quick moments in Pinterest and I found one that would work. These are definitely much sweeter than your usual pancake, but they are a fun treat. Kids and grownups alike devoured them. With just a touch of maple syrup they were perfect for a cold winter morning! And even better, it's a one bowl recipe. Special breakfast with minimal dishes? This will stay on our breakfast rotation for sure!

Eggnog Pancakes
adapted from Savory Simple 


Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups eggnog
2 eggs

Mix all the ingredients together with a whisk. Careful not to over mix the batter-some lumps are ok. Heat up a frying pan or griddle and lightly grease with butter or non stick spray. Spoon out with a small ladle or 1/4 c measuring cup and cook until the edges start to bubble. Flip and cook through on the other side. This recipe made about 16 small to medium size pancakes for us-perfect for a big weekend breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips