January 28, 2013

200th anniversary of Pride and Prejudice

Today marks the 200th anniversary of the publication of Jane Austen's classic Pride and Prejudice. I have been a longtime Austen fanatic and this is one of my favorites. It was the very first one I read, and while I think Persuasion now holds the title of favorite Austen, P&P will always be special to me.

There are lots of celebrations going on this week around the world. Here are just a few!

The BBC is recreating the actual "Netherfield Ball" from P&P. It will be filmed at Chawton House and will air on BBC2 in the UK. Hopefully BBC America will bring it over here so that we can see it too!
Here's a link to a news story on the ball.

Here are some more ways to celebrate if you are in England.

AustenProse is doing a bicentennial reading challenge! Here are the details if you want to join in by reading the original, spin-offs and various  movies based on the book.

The Washington Post has a good round up of events on the east coast.

And what would be an anniversary without merchandise?

I've had my eye on this sweatshirt from Out of Print  for ages. Maybe this is the time to finally give in? 



Etsy shop Brookish has lots of Jane inspired items. Mr. Darcy's proposal on a scarf or a Pemberley tea towel? Yes, please!



 The Jane Austen Centre in Bath has a huge selection from jewelry to clothing to books. And they apparently ship world wide! This is a reproduction of a ring owned by Jane herself.

I think I'll start by rereading Pride and Prejudice. I wish we were closer to some of the big events though-they look fantastic. Will you be celebrating?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips